Monday, April 4, 2011

Camino 400-800 kms


DROP-INS

Everyday, the crowd walking grows. Entire alburgues fill up after supper as groups descend on the Camino´s last 100 kms to get their Compostela. Other night I went to sleep with 9 other Pilgrims and woke up with 65 !!! in the dorm. Yikes.

LEATHER AND SILK

No, not a kinky way to pilgrimage, just a realization of how cool old gear materials are. The top I wear everyday is Merino wool. It has amazing range, I wear just it most days, it keeps you warm even when wet and it does not retain odor. You can get a few days walking out of it before it needs a wash. Try that with a techie top.

My sleepwear is my silk jammies from MEC. Again, quite a temperature range of comfort, no odor retention and hang dries in a few hours. Really amazing stuff.

I am wearing my Tech Amphibian warer shoes, but really wish I had a nice pair of Vasque Sundowners (full-grain leather with leather liners) plus 2 sets of insoles. The people with this setup are doing the best in these wet, muddy conditions.

As for techie gear, the rain shell works great and the fleece top keeps me nice and toasty at night and hides some of the grubbiness.

MUTTERING

I caught myself muttering as I walked along the other day. No big deal by itself, except that the day before, I had met a woman who has done the Camino more than 4 times. As I talked with her, she seemed very coherent, but as she continued aboout here business, she was muttering. Not just a sentence here and there, a full blown mutter that lasted as long as she was in the room and even as she walked about the albergue.

I can assure you that the next time I caught myself talking to myself on the Camino...I stopped right away...I think

THE SUN

As we always walk West, the sun sits over my left shoulder in the morning and as long as we don´t try a 40 kms day, we stop before the sun gets in your eyes. Very cool to have this as part of your day

No comments:

Post a Comment